Murchison Middle School opened its doors as Murchison Junior High School in September 1967 serving students in grades 7, 8, and 9. The school is named for E.A. Murchison, an educational leader who devoted his life to serving youth. He was a member of the Austin ISD Board of Trustees for 24 years, from 1919-1943, including six years as Vice President and 17 years as President of the Board. This is the longest tenure of school board service in district’s history. The initial school unit was planned to accommodate approximately 800 students with 39 teaching stations. In the fall of 1973, the 9th grade was moved to the high school. The 6th grade was added in 1987 and the school was renamed Murchison Middle School. In the spring of 2001, Murchison Middle School was named an International Baccalaureate World School with the authorization of its Middle Years Program. A two-story addition was added in 1999. This 1999 addition added 14 classrooms. The new capacity was increased to 1100 with additional portable units in following years.
- Murchison’s school colors are orange and gold.
- The mascot is a matador.
- The school motto is “Inspiration Within, Excellence Throughout.”
Welcome to Murchison!!