News & Updates
Virtual Learning Information at MMS 2020-2021
- August 2, 2020
- Posted by: Mark Reed
- Category: Uncategorized
August 2, 2020
Dear Murchison Community,
We hope that your family is doing well and you are having a safe, healthy summer. I have found time this summer to rest and relax with family and friends, and have enjoyed exercising for health and wellness each day. My oldest daughter will head off to college as a freshman this Fall, so we have been busy preparing for her college adventure during these times of uncertainty.
We appreciate your questions and concerns about the start of the school year and what learning will look like at Murchison Middle School. Please know that our campus is working to plan for August 18, the first day of school, with the students’ academic success and health and wellness in mind. As we receive more information from the AISD and the TEA, we will revise and modify our planning as needed. We must remain flexible as changes are happening daily with campus learning expectations and the number of coronavirus cases in our city and state.
The following are important details we can share with you about the start of the school year:
- School starts on Tuesday, August 18, 2020 and will be 100% virtual, at home learning through September 7, 2020.
- Students will have Advisory daily, where students will participate in RISE (Read, IB, SEL, Energize) activities and team building/connections with their Advisory teacher and classmates.
- Students will follow an ABAB schedule Monday – Thursday, where students will have 4 classes per day, plus Advisory. Synchronous, live teacher instruction will occur through Zoom on these days. On Friday, students will follow a FLEX schedule, where students will participate in Advisory and then have asynchronous, self-paced learning the remainder of the day. Teachers will be available for student support during office hours each day. (See the attached DRAFT MMS schedule for Virtual Learning.)
- Students will receive their personal Schedule of courses prior to August 18, 2020. This will likely occur through the Parent Cloud.
- Students are expected to attend their classes daily. Attendance will be documented for each period and is compulsory.
- Grades will be recorded in accordance with district policy.
Many parents are wondering what school will look like when in person learning resumes. Please see the AISD COVID-19 hub for the latest information from AISD. Students and staff will follow all safety guidelines set forth by AISD when school resumes for in-person learning. We will continue to keep you informed of changes as we are notified by AISD.
Please see the attached document, Murchison FAQs, which we will continue to revise with answers to some of your most asked questions during our weekly parent Zoom calls.
Please see the attached document, 2020-2021 Murchison DRAFT Distance Learning Schedule. This schedule is in DRAFT form and may be subject to change.
Also, we are attaching our MMS Virtual Learning School Supply List. This list contains generic supplies that can be used for MMS classes during distance learning. Teachers will update their BLEND pages with more specific information about school supplies needed for in person learning.
We are also posting Murchison’s Plan for Distance Learning 2020-2021 to our website soon. This plan will contain information about the Murchison campus, as well as plans for Virtual Learning in August.
Thank you for your patience and support as we work to make our students’ learning opportunities relative and engaging during these times of great change in education. Our goal is to create challenging lessons for our students that will allow for student growth and connections with their peers and teachers. We also remain committed to being an agile organization that can respond to the needs of our students and community through quality instruction, collaboration and connection grounded in SEL strategies and equity.
Please see the attached SEL Practices for Reopening Schools, developed by CASEL, which we will use to guide our practices at MMS as we move forward.
Murchison Middle School